top of page

Getting Started With CIS

All CIS contractors & sub-contractors are required to register with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

What do CIS contractors need?

To be paid by The Square Pay CIS you have to initially be registered as

self-employed with HMRC.

To apply register you need:

  • To be Self-Employed registered with HMRC

  • Be part of the CIS Scheme (registered with HMRC)

  • A National Insurance Number

  • A Unique Tax Reference Number (UTR)

Click here for help

Being paid as a CIS Contractor by The Square Pay

We invoice and collect monies due from your agency or employer and pay you on based on the income we receive from your agency or employer less a small weekly margin. We also deduct the appropriate tax (normally 20% deducted) and pay the money into your bank account to credit every Friday.


Helpful contacts

Phone Numbers:

To register to be Self-Employed and part of CIS call HMRC:

0300 200 3210

To obtain a National Insurance Number and UTR call the

Department For Work and Pensions:

0800 731 0469

Call The Square Pay

0203 868 6303


HMRC advice on CIS

Click here

Register with The Square Pay

Click here

bottom of page